There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Exposition Review is an independent, multi-genre literary journal that publishes narratives by new, emerging, and established writers in the genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, stage & screen, experimental narratives, art & photography, and comics (see guidelines below).
Submissions for our 2018 issue will open September 2017. While you wait for the release of for Vol. II: "Surface," read our previous issues.
Our Flash 405 writing competition accepts submissions every other month outside our annual issue submission period of September–December. We are currently CLOSED for Flash 405 submissions until August 4, 2017 (see below). Check our blog to get news about latest submission and contest openings.
Wondering what to submit to us? We like to be surprised; we like writing that transports us with strong voices and a sense of place. We like work that’s thoughtful and cathartic, work that embraces conflict and isn’t afraid to take risks. We love pieces that blur the boundaries of genre.
FLASH 405 WRITING CONTESTS:
Our Flash 405 competitions accept short from work in the genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and stage & screen. Contests are judged by members of Expo's editorial team as well as guest judges. Each contest has a theme and winners are awarded cash prizes and online publication. For more information see the category below (when available), visit the Flash 405 page on our website, and read the 2016 winners and themes in our Flash 405: 2016 Issue.
ANNUAL ISSUE SUBMISSIONS:
Every issue has a theme from which writers and artists can draw inspiration. We encourage those who submit to think outside the box; we look for stories that fit the theme yet make us think about it in different ways; we want work that satisfies and challenges traditional forms of storytelling.
All work is read and given fair consideration by our editorial staff.
The theme for our 2017 annual issue was "Surface."
Guidelines for individual genres are as follows:
- Fiction. Short stories and stand-alone novel excerpts up to 5,000 words, or up to three pieces of flash fiction, 750 words or fewer.
- Nonfiction. Memoir, personal essays, and creative nonfiction up to 5,000 words.
- Poetry. Up to three poems of any form and in traditional or experimental styles.
- Stage & Screen. One-act plays, scenes, or short film and screenplay excerpts up to 15 pages.
- Experimental Narratives. We love narratives in all forms. Whether it's digital poetics, a video, or a transmedia, genre-bending piece, if it tells a good story, creates compelling characters, and/or tickles our literary senses, we want it. Consider the limits in our other categories and our online platform for length guidelines.
- Art & Photography. Five pieces per submission with appropriate credit lines.
- Comics. We are looking for short, self-contained comics up to three pages per piece, with no more than three pieces per submission.
Submissions for our 2018 issue will be open from September 15 - December 31, 2017.